by Erika Walker
Retirement today isn’t what it used to be. More and more older adults, including boomers, are choosing to work longer because they enjoy it, or are creating new careers and businesses during retirement.
Gone are the days when individuals worked for one organization for 40 years until they were 65 years old, received a pension and a gold watch, had a retirement party, and then went off to the golf course. Seniors are looking for new ways to use their skills and talents.
Why is this happening?
- Working helps avoid social isolation and keeps them connected to their communities
- Working gives meaning to their lives
- Working allows them to use their knowledge and experience
- Working helps older people stay physically and mentally healthy
- Working is a source of pleasure
So if you are interested in an “Encore” career, you are not alone! There are lots of benefits, so Go For It!